The Digital Facts
In 2008 DEN started the 'The Digital Facts' research project, in Dutch 'De Digitale Feiten'. In this project the digitization of Dutch heritage collections was reviewed in order to develop a methodology to measure the size, costs and use of digital heritage collections. The Digital Facts project provided the Dutch contribution to the EU projects Numeric and ENUMERATE.
Publications about The Digital Facts
- Download The digital facts of cultural heritage (paper, pdf) - Marco de Niet (EUROMED conference, november 2010)
- Download De digitale feiten: The Dutch approach to the implementation of the Numeric framework (article, pdf) - Trilce Navarette (Numeric newsletter, issue 3, juni 2008, p.4)
As a part of the digital facts project DEN performed an exploratory study in 2010 among forty selected heritage institutions to provide a practical contribution to the way in which born-digital collections are managed and maintained by heritage institutions. The exploratory study consisted of three parts: interviews, a number of focus groups and an online survey. A total of 29 heritage institutions participated in at least one of the aforementioned parts of the study. It must be stressed that this selection is not representative, but rather that the institutions are pioneers in the collecting and management of born-digital material.
- Download 'Born‐digital heritage materials at selected Dutch heritage institutions' (report, pdf)
- Download 'Cultural heritage in limbo: reflections on preliminary research into born-digital cultural heritage in The Netherlands' (article, pdf) - Gerhard Jan Nauta (DEN) & Maurits van der Graaf (Pleiade) (Archive2020, Sustainable archiving of born-digital content, juni 2010, p. 80-87)
In 2008 a dual survey of web statistics was conducted under the authority of DEN, also as a part of the digital facts project. Firstly a literature survey was carried out to obtain insight in the backgrounds, feasibilities and limitations of web statistics. Secondly a statement of affairs was drawn up on 112 cultural heritage institutions to ascertain to what extent these institutions dispose of web statistics, which software packages are used for that purpose, and which statistics are considered useful for mutual comparison. An interview was held with several of the institutions. Finally annual reports of heritage institutions were studied to ascertain to what extent they make reference to web statistics.
- Download Web statistics of heritage institutions (report, pdf).
Back to DEN-reports in English
Laatst gewijzigd: 29-10-2013